A message to the reader

Hey. I write. Cool, right?

Friday, July 8, 2011

Poem

Uncomfortable Situations Regarding the Female Anatomy

I
The sand is hot between my eleven year old toes. I can feel the sun burn on my shoulders start to sting, but still I sit in the pools of salt water. My brown hair sticks to my cheeks and I take a hand full of wet sand to my face, examining the texture. My new yellow bathing suit shimmering as I stood up to move back to my blanket. I turn as my sister screams and points to me- "She's Bleeding! She's Dying!"

II
I hold my hand up as the teacher lectures on. I squeeze my knees tighter and closer together, until my legs are a pasty white. She's pretending she doesn't see me waving my arm frantically, I'm silently pleading. I see her beady eyes scan the blank faces. She stops at my pained expression and nods. I stand to sprint out of the room- and the fire alarm goes off. I'm stuck in an orderly line, the stick figure girl on the bathroom is just out of my reach.

III
I'm leaning against the door in the inside of the Red Arrow bathroom. The boy I'm supposed to be kissing right now is sitting awkwardly in the sparkling red booth, wondering why I began hyperventilating in the middle of our dinner. I lock the door and stare up at the crumbling ceiling. I hope he isn't smart enough to see me- unprepared. Sand-paper-towels and one leg on the wall, I try and hide my red shame.

IV
The one day where I don't lie to my male gym teacher is the day he questions my facts. "Didn't you have this problem last week, too?" "Oh God."

V
The next time I go to a crappy "punk" show, I'll make sure to bring backup.

VI
"It's the middle of a show. REALLY?"

VII
I take my time during "my time", and don't enjoy it when somebody is repeatedly hammering on the door to the only bathroom on the campground. I am washing my hands with a grimace and I want to kick this woman over and over and over. I open the door to the ugly old woman and growl "Some people still get their periods, bitch."

No comments:

Post a Comment